Patients should expect bruising and swelling after their surgery, especially around the eyes. While the visible swelling may fade over the course of five to seven days, residual swelling can last for six to 12 months. Moderate discomfort may be experienced, although Dr. Moynihan will prescribe the appropriate pain medications to keep patients resting comfortably. At the first follow-up appointment, in about five days, the splint and sutures will be removed.
Ten Tips for a Smooth Rhinoplasty Recovery:
- Have pain medications filled prior to the day of surgery.
- Arrange for a ride home from the surgery center.
- Sleep with your head elevated. Prop up on pillows or try sleeping in a recliner; this will reduce swelling.
- Get plenty of rest. Allow your body to begin healing.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet (soft food works best over the first couple days) and limit sodium intake.
- Drink lots of water.
- Wear your contacts. Glasses, even prescription, cannot be worn for up to six weeks after surgery.
- Arrange for appropriate time off from work or school.
- Wear sunscreen. The surgical area will be very sensitive, so protect your nose (and your face) with a high SPF.
Dr. Moynihan will go over the specific post-operative instructions at the consultation appointment. If there are any questions, be sure to ask these in advance of the scheduled surgery. It is essential that you follow your individual recovery plan to maximize appropriate healing.
Get the Most Trusted and Expert Treatment from Dr. Moynihan
Fill out the form and our courteous staff will get back to you.